- How did you get the role as Jasmine in Aladdin back in 1992 ? Did many women audition ?
I did an auditicion by Sony music, it was with several artist that where called at the same time, after Disney USA listen to my audiction I was accepted.
- Did you also audition for the speaking voice of Jasmine (done by Maggie Vera) ? Would you have like to be the speaking voice as well ?
Yes I did, but every time that I've done dubbings for Disney I had to share the characters with Maggie Vera, she's a great singer and a close friend. Yes, I would have liked to be the speaking voice as well.
- How did the the recording session go ? Did they take a long time ?
No, it was done at the first time in one take.
- When you record "Un mundo ideal", were you supposed to try to sound as much alike the original singing voice (Lea Salonga) or to put your mark on the song ?
Disney always wants to sound as much alike to the original voice (Lea Salonga).
- Was it difficult singing "Un mundo ideal" ? What is your favorite line from the song ?
Actually it was a little dificult because the melody is made for a soprano singer and I am a mezzo soprano, but with a little bit of technique I was able to solve it.
My favorite part it was :
My favorite part it was :
- "I'm like a shooting star, I've came so far, I can't go back to where I used to be"
- Have you ever heard the Castilian version of "Un mundo ideal" sung by Ángela Aloy ?
I have heard it, I think that she has a beautiful voice, but I feel like Jasmine should sound older.
- Do you like your performance ? How was the experience ?
I love my job, and I have a special love with that trilogy :)
- Did you know that you are one of the most beloved Jasmine voices worldwide ?
I didn't know about it, and it surprised me that you mention that. When you do a job in your own country you never imagine who is going to like it. I mean even people that speak different languages.
- Then in 1998 you became the singing voice of Mulan, how did you get that role ? Did many women audition ?
Well I auditioned again and got the role! The song was again sung by Lea Salonga so I was called to dub her again.
- How was the experience singing the powerful song "Mi Reflejo" ? What does the song mean to you ?
Until this day, It's the best song that I have ever sung in a dubbing. You're right! It's almost like a autobiography.
- How did the the recording session go for that role ? Did it take a long time ?
It took a little longer then Jasmine, because the voice and emotions did not go together. I know several people, both men and women use the song as a mark on their life.
- Have you ever heard the song in other languages ?
I have listen to some version, and the ones that I have enjoyed are the French and Japanese versions, because they are similar to Lea Salonga's voice, the original.
- What is your favourite Disney song and why ?
'Reflection' and 'Part of Your World', both of them have amazing lyrics and a powerful melody.
- Have you ever auditioned for any roles you did not get ?
Yes, Beauty and the Beast for the role as Belle, and also for Fox's Anastasia. I could not get cast as Anastasia because my voice needed a technique with opera elements. But I recorded all the songs for the whole movie. But a famous mexican singer married a really powerful man in the industry and when the dubbing was finished, automatically she's been chosen for the singing voice.
- Which character would you say reflects your personality, Jasmine or Mulan ?
- What are you doing nowadays ?
I'm an international vocal coach, singer and mother of two kids.